9th June 2021

Protect your new venture with small business insurance

Obtaining the right level of insurance cover is of paramount importance, with data suggesting that as many as 80% of businesses across England and Wales have some element of underinsurance on their commercial properties, with sums insured regularly falling short of correct levels by at least 20%.*

Whilst some aspects of business insurance are legally required, such as vehicle insurance and Employers’ Liability, there are others that will be more bespoke to your business and work practices.

As a professional broker we will work with you to understand your business and requirements and will discuss with you the appropriate covers for you protection

What cover can I get for my small business?

  • Public liability: This will provide you with protection if found liable for injury to third parties or damage to third party property in connection with your business activities.
  • Professional indemnity: applies in cases where your advice or guidance leads to a financial loss to your customer. It is particularly important for consultative sectors.
  • Business interruption: aims to cover you for loss of income, profit, or additional costs, during periods when you cannot carry out business as usual due to damage caused by an insured peril.
  • Equipment and tools: covers any essential tools or equipment for damage or theft.
  • Stock: if your business stores stock on the premises, it may be a good idea to have stock insurance. This covers you for stolen or damaged stock.
  • Business contents: any property on the business premises should be insured. Business contents insurance generally covers items like furniture and basic office equipment. It will not usually cover business-related tools.

Please note that the classes of insurances shown above are not exhaustive and we would be delighted to speak with you and identify any additional covers that may be required by your business.

Does my small business need any specific insurance policies?

Bespoke insurance packages should be sought-out for specific types of small businesses, e.g. shops, construction companies and hotels.

Even if you run your business from home, it’s likely that you will still need some forms of business protection.

For example, it is likely you will still have certain office equipment, so you may need a contents and cyber insurance policy in place.

If you’d like to review any existing policies or talk to us about your insurance coverage, please contact us.

If you’d like to review any existing policies or talk to us about your insurance coverage, please contact us.

*Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and the Building Cost Information Service

Want to know more?

To discuss your specific insurance needs get in touch and we will be pleased to help.
Find out more

W B Baxter Ltd,
263 Cranbrook Road,
Ilford, Essex,

Copyright @ 2023 W B Baxter Ltd.
W B Baxter Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Company Registration Number: 277519 | FCA Registration Number: 146480. If you have a complaint or dispute with us and are unable to resolve this to your satisfaction, we are obliged to offer you the Financial Ombudsman Service to help resolve this, please see the following link for further details: financial-ombudsman.org.uk